Sunday, 17 June 2007
We've begun to build. I've got four people to help me - and the work will need all our time and energy for ten days, as it's huge: 12 meters long, 5 meters wide and at the highest point, 3.5 meters. Bjorn, Sam and I have worked on the data for the last two weeks getting everything right. I know, I've skipped this bit but fundamentally, there was much email to-ing and fro-ing, checking of data sets and re-compiling. In the final stage we centered the graph on the ostracod line, which makes it asymmetrical, giving a far more satisfying overall shape. I've also been ordering tools, gloves, dust masks and so on which I also pass over because it's simply relentless practicality.
Saturday - I drive from London with Islamiya and we begin work at noon. Alistair joins us in the evening taking the train from Oxford and finally Tom and Helen arrive from London the following morning. The main task now is to sort out and process the piles of junk that I've collected by type. Until we know what proportions we've got I can't decide which materials to use and therefore - what it's going to look like.
Working on the porcelain radiolaria we are much helped by passers by, some of whom passed back by today to make more.